Friday, January 16, 2009

Not Alone

After praying for the last two weeks for something constructive to do while I'm recovering from shoulder surgery, God answered in a way I never expected. The other night a friend of mine called and asked me if I wanted to be a counselor at a winter retreat he's planning for later this month. Apparently he found out from someone that I'd had shoulder surgery and was looking for something to do so he gave me a call. God really does have a great sense of timing! I haven't heard from him for half a year but he called at a time when I desperately needed something to do to get my focus off myself. It also happens to work out great with my college schedule so it looks like the doors are open for me to do something besides sitting at home trying to find something to do.

Anyway, it was an encouragement to me to see God answer that prayer, especially since I've been struggling the past two weeks and haven't felt like I've been on God's side for most of it. Earlier that day I felt like I was doing all I could and not receiving much help, but then, with one simple phone call, God had reminded me once again that I'm not alone. I felt like He was saying, “Mike, I know you better than you know yourself. I know exactly when you struggle and why you struggle, but I love you anyway and I do hear you when you cry out to me. You're not alone in this, and even though you fight Me at times, when you turn back to Me, even the littlest bit, I will be there to help you come the rest of the way.”

The battle still isn't over, but it was good to be reminded that the only time I'll have to fight alone is when I'm fighting God. Thankfully He knows the weakness of prodigal sons and doesn't make us come all the way home by ourselves but runs to meet us when we He sees us making an effort to come back.

James 4:8 “Draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands ye sinners and purify your hearts ye double minded.”

No comments:

Post a Comment