Friday, May 29, 2009

Random thoughts

(Random thoughts that never made it to blog posts.)

The danger . . .

. . . with comparing: If two snails compare themselves, one of them is bound to think he is fast.

. . . with growing up Christian: You are told what is the right thing to do before you understand why. This is fine as long as you eventually figure out the reasons behind what you do. The danger is that many kids never make this transition. They continue going through the motions without knowing the reason until one day they grow up and decide that there are no reasons. Nothing could be further from the truth! Unfortunately it happens all the time.

************************

Some people try so hard to be real and sincere . . . other people just are. I prefer the second type. Every day I run across people who obviously believe deep down that they are practical, interesting people and are desperate for someone to realize just how real and un-fake they are. I wish I could tell them that the fulfillment they are looking for will never come from other people. They need someone who understood them before they were born, knows exactly who they are, what they have done, what they will do, and what they will be (Psalm 139). Unfortunately they are so busy looking in the wrong place that I fear it will be a long time before they begin looking in the right place.

*************************

A quote from a speaker I heard recently: “Many people come up and tell me that they don't need to go to church to be a Christian. True enough. Also true: you don't need to go home to be considered married . . . but it helps!”

**************************

I am soooooo ready to get to camp. I'm tired of preparing . . . I want to be there and start doing. If you'll excuse me I think I'm going to find a good piece of grass to stick between my teeth and some pockets to shove my hands into. Oh this whole farm theme is going to be way too easy =)

No comments:

Post a Comment