Monday, April 27, 2009

Summer already?

Whatever happened to spring? This weather makes me feel like I should be watching fireworks and starting water fights. And watermelon . . . definitely watermelon . . . that would be really good right now! In the summer nothing is quite as good as a good cold watermelon. Even desserts can't hope to compete with that, especially when you're as hot and thirsty as I am right now.

I walked outside yesterday and burned my feet on the pavement. Now I know my feet aren't very tough yet after being crammed into shoes all winter, but even so that's not supposed to happen in April. But besides burned feet there are some fun things about summer. For instance, I get to see a whole new line of hats from my sister who is paranoid of getting sunburned. She has this thing for ten-gallon hats in the floppy women's style. I can't wait to see what she comes up with this year. If you ever get a chance, ask her to show you her collection. It can be quite amusing. Uh-oh, speaking of which I'm getting a very definite signal from her right now that it's time for me to stop talking about her hats and change the oil in her car. Someday I'm going to teach her how to do that herself . . although I would hate to lose it as a bargaining chip. Tonight it got me out of doing dishes which I happen to think is a great deal (and seeing it gets me out of the kitchen, the rest of my family probably does too). This way I get to play with wrenches and get my hands all greasy which is much more fun. After all, everyone knows it's much more fun to make a mess than it is to clean one up. Besides that it's also a good way to impress people who don't know me well enough to know that I don't know anything about cars. If you ever want to look like you know something about cars, pull the car out in the front yard and get underneath it with greasy hands and a bunch of tools scattered around. Everybody driving past will assume that you must know what you're doing . . . that is unless they happen to be the one driving past when you pull the plug out too fast and get hit in the mouth with the drain oil. I did that once and unfortunately Josh was there to see it happen. He's never let me forget it. (Sigh . . . sometimes brothers are cruel that way.)

2 comments:

  1. Somehow I don't think our synergy on the volleyball court would have worked as well if I had read this before playing ....

    :)

    But hey, it really is worth something to have beautiful skin when you're 92.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I make it to 92 I think beautiful skin will be the last thing I will be worried about!

    As far as the volleyball game, what you didn't know obviously didn't hurt you seeing as we crushed Josh and Lindsey. Even if you had known, I doubt it would have mattered much. You like the hat jokes as much as we do and you know it! You know the Stauffer rule: it's better to be teased than to be ignored. If we didn't love you, we wouldn't try to have fun with you . . . so just look at is as we love you a LOT! =)

    ReplyDelete