Sunday, September 19, 2010

Enjoying the journey

I like people who have learned to enjoy the journey, not just the destination. It's an easy-going mindset that says you don't have to reach your destination before you can enjoy yourself. I'd much rather be with someone who can laugh when life throws a curve ball than someone who fidgets, fusses, and does their best to make sure everyone around them knows this was not what they had planned. Besides, what are they going to do when when do reach their goal? Hit the magic button that says “You have arrived! Push button to erase the stress you had getting here and start having fun!?” Sorry, I've never seen such a button. In my experience, people who are determined that life will follow their planner usually spend a good part of their life miserable.

Some of my fondest and funniest memories come from times when everything went wrong and I was with people who could laugh about it. On the other hand, some of my least fond memories are from times when things went wrong and I was with people who were bound to be tense until they got things back on track. The way I see it, when something unexpected happens, you might as well roll with the punch, smile, and get ready to take whatever comes next. You're about to start making memories . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment