Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Answered prayers. . .

Woke up early this morning to go to work. After rolling over to turn off my alarm, it hit me that the fun-filled weekend was over and it was back to the real world. . . the real world where we were going to be setting big trusses all day out in the wind, after which I would come home to homework and a 9:00 deadline for which I needed my textbook which hadn't arrived yet.

Needless to say, neither of those things made me feel ready to start my day. I kind of wished I could go back to sleep for awhile. But I couldn't. I'd already told Larry I could help him on his big truss-setting day.

Rolling over one more time, I asked God to give safety while we were working up high and to help my textbook come in the mail. Why? Because if there's two things I wanted for that day, it was safety and my textbook . . . and if there's two things I don't control it's accidents and the U.S. postal service! =)

Later during devotions I was reading in Mark where Jesus reminds the disciples that if they pray believing, they will receive, even if it involves things like commanding a fig tree to die or moving mountains. I knew these requests weren't anywhere as dramatic or unusual as those, but did believe God had heard and as I went through the rest of the day I kept wondering how he was going to answer.
Long story short, the concrete walls we were working on were pretty high (it's for a gym after all) and it was pretty windy at first, but setting the trusses went faster than we thought and without any accidents. The wind slowed down for the second part of the day and we were able to get all the trusses up by just before dark – something we hoped we could do but really didn't think would work out.

During our short lunch break, I called home to find out if I needed to go pick up another textbook from Millersville so I could keep up with my classes in case my ordered book didn't come for another week (which it very easily could have) and found out that it had arrived, and only because the sender was nice enough to ship it expedited and very quickly after I ordered it – and all that without him even knowing that I needed it quickly because I had forgot to tell him when I bought it.

Anyway, I was encouraged to see how God answered two simple prayers. They weren't really out of the ordinary and could easily be explained by perfectly natural causes, but God used them to remind me that he does listen and act when we pray.

There was no reason we shouldn't have had a safe day at work since we were being careful on a tough job, but there are many people who didn't have a safe day at work today. There was no reason why my textbook shouldn't have come in the mail seeing as it was shipped on time, but not all sellers are nice enough to ship before they absolutely have to. I am thankful for both.

1 comment:

  1. Praying along with you, and God answered our prayers, and grew my faith.

    ReplyDelete