Wednesday, February 23, 2011

We are starting a new Sunday School study on Prayer. The book was written by a Paul Miller, and we watched an introduction video where he presents the book. He said something that was a new thought to me, but I liked it. Paraphrased, it was along these lines:

“Prayer is NOT a matter of discipline. We often hear or assume that it is because it is hard. Prayer involves discipline, but discipline is not the basis for a vibrant prayer. Helplessness is. When we are helpless, we will pray. When we realize how truly little control we have over things in the scheme of our lives, we will want to pray. Helplessness is the basis for prayer, not discipline.”

If God's real desire for prayer was for us to gain discipline, don't you think he would have made a real and vibrant prayer life something that we could accomplish through discipline? I know simple discipline isn't the key for me, because I've tried that. It only lasts as long as I can make my discipline last.

I'm better at needing help than I am at being disciplined, and I think God designed it that way. Look how many times He told his disciples to become like little children. It was three or four separate occasions. I think he was trying to tell us something...

No comments:

Post a Comment