Thursday, February 19, 2009

A Fool?

Who wants to be thought of as a fool? Who wants to be a fool? If you had to choose between the two, which would you rather be?
At first this seems like a hypothetical situation, but for Christians it is very real to life. To put it simply, if you are going to take God at His word, people will think you are a fool. On the other hand, if you decide if you decide to trust your own wisdom, people will think you are wise, but according to God you are a fool. Which would you rather be?
So is it really a bad thing to be thought a fool? Obviously it depends why they think you are a fool. After all, there are a good number of things Christians can do that are genuinely foolish. Being a follower of Christ doesn't mean we are exempt from stupidity. But, back to my question. Is it really a shame to be thought of as a fool? Inversely, is it always a compliment to the thought of as wise? Instinctively I say yes, but I'm pretty sure my instincts are wrong on this one. It probably also has something to do with who thinks you are wise or foolish. Frankly, some people I don't want to think I am wise because their concept of wisdom is an insult.
I heard a quote from a radio pastor one time and I thought it was good. (Surprisingly some of them have some pretty good quotes!). He said “when you are living in the Spirit, the flesh will seem foolish and you will wonder how you could ever be so stupid. When you are living in the flesh, the Spirit will seem foolish and you will wonder what in the world you were doing.”
If you plan to live like a Christian, you might as well accept the fact that you will look and feel foolish at times. However, from the few times I've felt foolish (yeah right! Believe that one and I'll tell you another one!) it really isn't that bad, especially when you know that you are siding with an almighty God. There's a certain thrill and satisfaction that comes from taking God at His word, knowing that He's been around long enough to know the difference between wisdom and foolishness. It makes me wish I did it more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment