Thursday, February 5, 2009

Snow

I love snow. Love the way it crunches under your feet when walk on it. Love the way it reflects all the light around it at night. Love the way it lets you slide on almost everything. Love throwing it on other people!=). I went for a walk tonight with Josh and Lindsey and even though there wasn't nearly enough snow or big enough drifts to make it a real adventure, it felt good just to go stomping through it. I forget how much fun it is to sled down even a small hill in a saucer and to let your sister fall into her snow angel as you are “helping” her up (I got a good snowball and chase for that!). Josh wasn't so much for chases, but he did go rolling down a hill and got snow up his shirt. It reminded me of when we used to go sledding when we were little. There used to be family at our old church who lived on a farm with a perfect hill for sledding. It was a good long hill with two small fence lines halfway down that usually threw you into the air and didn't always let you land on the sled. I remember being very sore for several days after those rides! It was usually dark by time we were done and sometimes we had hot chocolate and a bonfire to roast hot dogs. Don't ask me why we don't still do that sort of thing. It's not like I don't have the time, it just doesn't happen. I wished tonight I could go back a couple years and do it all over again. Ever notice how everything seems better and bigger when it's in the past? Maybe some things are just better as memories than traditions. In my memories I can forget the cold hands, snow in the face, bruises, and cold terror when you realize you're out of control and there's nothing to slow you down except a fence at the other end. Still, if I could do it again, I would . . . in a heartbeat.

***********

(From economics class).
Durable products: Anything with an expected life span of three or more years.
This definition came up right after the professor gave a little rant on fads and people who have to buy the newest thing every few weeks. I was sitting there and the thought popped into my head “I've known granola bars with longer life-spans than some people's cell phones. So, does that make granola a durable product or cell phones a non-durable?” I guess it's all a matter of how you want to define them.

No comments:

Post a Comment